Friday, June 11, 2004

Ibrahim of the Mt. of Olives

Jewish tradition teaches that the world exists because of 36 righteous people in the world. Ibrahim is one of them. I truly believe that he has the soul of the Jewish and Moslem's biblical ancestor Abraham. Remember the story about how Abraham (or Ibrahim) would go out of his tent to find guests to bring back. He didn't wait until people walked in. My dad used to tell me that Arab hospitality was because they were descendents of Abraham/Ibrahim.

Ibrahim lives on the Mt. of Olives, just up the steep hill from the Gesthemene Gardens and churches. I met him just over a year ago at a Peace circle meeting in Jerusalem. After the meeting he invited me over to his house. I asked a mutual friend "Is it safe to go up to his place" "Sure, everyone knows him and besides everyone in that neighborhood is related to him." I set off one day after work. The taxi driver I hailed was an Israeli - "It's dangerous there, sorry, but I'm can't take you there." I tried others "Why are you going there?" "I haven't been there since 1973" "Are you crazy". Not giving up so easily, I simply walked to Jaffa Gate and hailed an Arab taxi. I didn't know the street just the area - right behind a church. The taxi stopped in front of a store in the commercial area of the neighborhood. One guy who looked just like Ibrahim said "I'm his nephew, I'll take you there." I thought we'd we walking to his house. No. By that time the cab had already left and it was dark outside. The two men got into a car and motioned me in. Taking a chance that these people will be OK - I got in and prayed that they were indeed going to take me to Ibrahim's house and not to some deserted cemetery, etc. A minute later we were there. Of course the minute I showed up, plates of food appeared on the table. I met his wife his aunt, his sister, his sons, saw the place where he was born, and saw the section of the house that Ibrahaim built solely for guests. And does he have guests. It seems that everywhere he goes he invites people to stay at his home. If not to stay, then to visit. At that time his guests included a Korean woman, a couple of Germans, and three Jewish men (two Americans and one Israeli). The Israeli guest had been there for 8 months. The others for two months. Some just pop in for a day or two. His wife asked me if I was staying over. "No, I live really close by" I told her. "Why aren't you sleeping over?" She demanded to know, irregardless if I lived down the freakin' block. He built three floors with a kitchen for his guests to stay and feel comfortable. I don't think he asks any money from them. They're guests. He doesn't run a hotel or hostel.

Later on that year, I took my 12 year old son over to him. We drove in a taxi straight to his home. My son asked a bit nervously-"Are we driving through an Arab village?" "Yes, darling, isn't it picturesque?" I'm sure none of his school friends have had this experience. He played soccer with Ibrahim's grandchild - who was also 12 and they communicated by whistling and sharing chocolates. One time we went as a group to Nebi Musa during the Jewish holiday of Tu B'shvat - the Jewish new year for trees and his grandchildren planted trees together with two of my kids.

And the time he came over to eat a meal with us during one of the Jewish festivals. Some of my kids were like "You're not bringing an Arab into the house." I said "Oh yes I am". And when he came he brought 2 huge bags of fresh fruits and vegetables. When he got up to leave, my kids said "You forgot your packages". He said "They're yours".

I took a friend of mine to his home, walking there this time from the old city. Dangerous? I wouldn't call the smiling natives dangerous. Of course, they all knew where we were headed. Maybe half of them are his relatives. But Ibrahim is leaving tomorrow to go on a trip to visit his children - who live overseas - for 6 weeks. He e-mailed people saying his married kids will be taking care of the guests who are still there and who aren't there yet. I'm going to miss him terribly. Have a safe trip and come home safe. Your guests are waiting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! I get so tired of watching the news and only seeing examples and effects of hate which contaminate hope and breed cynicism. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us all.

Anonymous said...

"...and they communicated by whistling and sharing chocolates..."

Thank you. Thank you! Really. Beautiful, beautiful post. Next time you see him bring him an orange for me.

sherijberi said...

You are a bright beaming example to other Jews around the world who hate others of varying nationalities. May I use your journals in my Hebrew School classes next year? sherijberi@hotmail.com
Todah Rabah!

Anonymous said...

Great story. Sends out a strong message. There's hope for both muslims and jews to live in peace. =) Let's hope it's soon. =)

veritas said...

your friend ibraham sounds like a real character.....you should tell him about blogging and ask him if he wants to start his own blog..........im sure he must have some good stories.......